June 30, 2014

A Couple of Updates

It has been windy and wet this last week and this weekend will be more of the same. I normally love it when it rains, but this week with the construction going on I wished it would stop and let the builders get on with the job. In spite of that, the studio is progressing quite well.

First I will show you my finished journal cover I have been making to keep a journal of the project. I really enjoyed stitching the pieces of the covers and didn't want it to end. I'm so happy how it turned out after I put them together as a journal cover.

Front and back cover 

Front cover

Back cover

Take a peek inside

On Saturday I visited my friend Mary who I met on Instagram @maryhandweaver. This was the second time I've met Mary. The first time Mary came here and I took her around my neighbourhood. This time I went to her house and we decided to visit Kazari/Ziguzagu. There was a 3 day sale on and we couldn't resist going there. 


Mary is also a textile artist. Her house is just like a textile treasure trove. She's a fantastic weaver and collects many wonderful woven pieces from around the world. This one in the above photo is an old piece of Ikat from Indonesia. 


It's always lovely to visit Kazari/Ziguzagu. Both Hanna and Haru are so friendly and welcoming. I haven't been there lately. You can now follow them on Instagram @kazariziguzagu


In the new shipment we were told that Robert (the owner) just got back from Japan with a suitcase full of boro cloths! As it happens Robert was there to share them with us. I love that piece in the above photo and might get it if I can afford it!


Mary loves that piece. She hopes to get it when she knows the price. 


This is just some of the indigo collection they have on display. I left with a bag full of fabric and empty purse, but happy! 

And here is the update on my Upstairs Studio: In spite of the interruption of the rain on and off Simon and his team did a great job on the studio. The floor is completed. The stairs are now fixed on.


The frame is up with the spaces for the door and windows in place. Each day when I get home I would find some progress on the building.  

Front view coming from the driveway. 

View from the backyard

This is the view I will lose 


The hardest thing is choosing the colours! In the end we got six different colour samples to try them out, and guess what? We didn't like any of them. We have now settled on a Dulux colour 'Oyster Linen'. I will show you on the next post.

A full view of the studio

As you imagine I'm excited and looking forward to the big day when I can move all my stuff into the studio. I have the interior plans all layed out. I even bought a couple of Ikea cabinets in readiness. I do hope it's going to be big enough for all my stuff! 


Until next time
Nat





15 comments:

ria vogelzang said...

What a great visit you had to your friend Mary! Love the pictures of that shop.
And your studio is going to be gorgeous!! Great to have such a place al to yourself!
And I just adore that gorgeous journal-cover! Beautiful job you did!!
Love, RIa.

Kim said...

So you will get to the studio from outside, there will be connection to get there from inside the house?
It looks beautiful so far! Love the idea of having a journal to show all the changes on your new space, lovely cover!

Keep us posted and we'll hope the move in day will be soon :0).
Happy Sewing

deanna7trees said...

every time you visit that fabric shop, i say to myself that it's a good thing it's not anywhere near me. it would be hard to resist so many beauties. great progress on the studio. can't wait to see you working within.

Needled Mom said...

That new studio is going to be incredible, Nat. It is so nice to see it taking shape and I LOVE the journal that you are keeping of the progress. The stitching is just beautiful.

It looks like you and Mary have a lot in common so I am sure it was a wonderful time together.

I'll be hoping for a little less rain there so they can keep working.

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Great post - I really enjoyed reading it and looking at the images. And your studio - VERY exciting! :-)

Debbie said...

Love the journal cover, I agree with Deanna abut the shop, it looks amazing.

Els said...

Ohhh my a studio like a birdsnest !
That will be a splendid place once it's finished Nat !
(ohhhh would love to visit that Ziguzagu shop you always mention ...)

Jeannie said...

Your studio is growing by leaps and bounds! I am so excited for you!!! I love the Ikat Mary has hanging. Your journal is beautiful. Paint is hard to choose. I also discovered that depending on the time of day, some paint change color. Enjoy your new room in the trees!

Bev C said...

Hello Nat,

The studio is certainly going to be a special place for you, hope it fits everything. Spending time with friends with a similar interest is always inspiring.

Happy days.
Bev.

Astrid said...

Great post! Love the journal cover and pics from the shop. Love the woven piece from Indonesia, very beautiful. I have missed so many posts recently... and WOW! You are building a studio?! That's so great! Wishing you all the best and hope the rain stops! It's raining here right now... Have a wonderful week!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Nat your journal cover is just beautiful....such rich colours...I love that! Your studio is zooming along....bet you can't wait to get in!

neki desu said...

exciting times you are living.
as ever your stitching is totally gorgeous.

Terry said...

The studio is looking good. You can always have a studio day with the overflow for sale BUT I'm sure you will find a way to get everything in.

The journal cover is ri h and warm.

apiecefullife said...

Your own studio! How exciting.

Tracy said...

LOVE that journal cover, Nat--WOW!! Love that circular stitching... Moon-like. :o) DROOLING over all those textiles... especially those Japanese boros... *yum*... VERY exciting to see your new studio taking shape. It looks quite big! Hope weather will be fine so work can continue... Happy Days ((HUGS))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...