March 13, 2015

Mid of March 2015

You all know without me saying how fast time is flying by this year! Mid March already? It has been a good year for me so far! I have been busy doing everything from work stuff, creative stuff, physical stuff, planning stuff and all the life stuff! Life is beautiful (some of us says booful)! 

So with the colourful expression in my life at the moment. I'm going to post something lively and colourful for you here! 

My colourful stuff!

Colourful vintage Japanese silk I have stashed away.

A bit of creative blue stuff I have been working on lately is this Furoshiki cloth for my bag. I posted about here. It's not much closer to being finished, but I do pick it up and add a few stitches every so often. I've also bound a handmade book for a colleague who's leaving us this week. During the week Mr Notjustnat and I went to see Richard Thomson in concert at the Recital Centre in Melbourne.

Three red hearts and indigo moon for
Furoshiki cloth.

Stash of vintage indigo cotton. 

Coptic stitch binding.

Recycled book covers and cords.

Melbourne city

Also this week I finished another Scallop basket. I used the canes I dyed with coffee that I posted in February.

I finished it with a coat of vanish. 

Attaching the handle 

Last Saturday I helped my friends moving house. I didn't have to do much except driving back and forth between the old and the new house 6 times! He is a collector of vinyl records and he had so many of them to be moved. For a treat we had a lovely coffee at Market Lane Coffee, Prahran Market, Melbourne. 

Single estate Costa Rican 'rapadura' sugar
is best for coffee

The end of the move treat was green tea and cake

I found a wild fig growing at my Campus. It has plenty of figs if you get there before the birds. I was lucky to walk past it when the figs were just ready to pick. I got enough for a batch of jam.

Chopped, soaked in sugar and sat overnight

Next day boiled and bottled


An interesting ending for this post is this handsome vintage vehicle. Don't ask me what make it is. I stopped at the traffic next to this gorgeous looking red truck. I had my camera right by me so I took a shot of it. The driver was so happy that I took notice of his vehicle.

I have been working on many projects, but none is finished enough to blog about yet. I even got inspired lately by The Civil War Quilts newsletter that I subscribe to. The result was that I dug out the Civil War blocks I did many years ago and posted here. I hope to finish and put together a quilt top before we leave on our trip. I wanted to get it machine quilted in New Zealand by Donna while I'm away and to collect it on my way back. It's exciting to think that I will get a new quilt in 2015! I always need an incentive to complete a project! 

Until next time
Nat






5 comments:

deanna7trees said...

inspiring images as always.i miss my fig tree that just fell over one day a few years back but my lace teacher shares her fig jam with her students. it's wonderful on breakfast toast. have a great week.

Els said...

Ahhhh, Nat, those vintage silk bits !!! and the indigo !
Have a good week !

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Busy as usual Nat! Man that sure is one handsome truck and that jam looks delicious! Going over now to check out your Civil War quilt...how exciting to get it quilted!

Unknown said...

Hi Nat
Love your blog and am still learning how to explore. Did you ever finish the japanese fabric fan quilt? I would love to see a photo. It inspired me to do a similar quilt for one of my sons, but, my squares will be about 5".
regards
Dawn
Canberra

Nat Palaskas said...

Hi Dawn, Thanks for visiting and thanks for reminding me of my Japanese fabric fan quilt. No I haven't finished it yet. Life is busy with many projects and a full time job. I will get back to it one day - Hugs Nat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...